Saturday, August 23, 2014

L First Day of Kindergarten

L had her first day of Kindergarten this week.  She had a great time, though came home tired.  I am thrilled with L's teacher.  L is used to using her smile/cuteness to get out of trouble or doing work (this inevitably happens everywhere).  Her teacher is warm and kind but no nonsense.  At her admission testing, L tried her normal tricks when asked to do some pre-reading she was not interested in, but her teacher ignored it and refocused her attention achieving the desired result in the activity.

You can read more about Lily's school here.  You can also get a sense of why we chose a Christian school by watching this video.

The school day began with the elementary students gathering with their teachers on the playground (every day will start with 20 minutes of outdoor play - so long as it's not raining and above 20').  A verse was shared for the children to focus on (Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.  Philippians 2:3-4).  Then parents and teachers prayed together before sending the children in.  I cannot tell you what a wonderful feeling this way.  To cover the children and their teachers in prayer as a collective group of parents.  Truly a blessing!

**Here's a great song from one of L's favorite bands relating to the verse that was shared.

I was, surprisingly, a mess about L starting school.  So very excited for her, but prone to tears at the thought of her going.  L called them my happy tears, which I'd say is a quite accurate description.


Here's some pics that captured our day:


L woke up ready to go!  She chose cereal and frozen hot chocolate for her first day breakfast.  


We were thankful that T's schedule allowed him to be home for drop-off/pick-up on the first day.


G was a great encouragement to his sister leading up to the start of school.  Very precious!


After prayer, heading in to school with her teacher.  Please note that her backpack is almost as big as she is!


My thoughtful husband (ahem) snapped this shot of me as L walked in.  He said he's going to show it to me on the days when I am feeling a little challenged by our little lady to remind me of how I felt when she walked in to K for the first time.


T had a meeting to attend, so G and I took advantage of some rare one-on-one time and went bowling.  He's psyched in this picture b/c he just rolled a strike.


This amazing young man starts third grade next week.  I hope I can keep it together when we drop him off.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like yesterday we sent you off to the General's classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! One other thing! I can't imagine where Lily got a quality like using her smile/cuteness....hmmm....let me think...oh, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!

    Not the first time someone has made that connection. ;-)

    ReplyDelete