Sunday, June 1, 2014

Are you eating your greens?

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find one argument in favor of NOT eating leafy green veggies.  Every study, documentary or bit of research I've seen has affirmed that our bodies function best when fueled in large part by dark, leafy greens.  I love me some kale, and we've been using tons of spinach in our smoothies, but we hadn't explored much beyond that in the greens department.



We go through pounds of spinach every week, so Tim thought he'd try his hand at growing some.  He and the kids planted it and it's so cool to see it sprouting now.  We had our first DAD-SPINACH smoothie this weekend.  Tasted just a little sweeter than normal.  Must have been all the love.


Tim went with a system called lasagna gardening, which he utilized with a square foot plan.  Google the ideas if you are interested.  Very cool and we have had to do no weeding thus far, though I'm sure a small amount will arise in the weeks to come.


We picked up our first CSA share last week.  It was full of....  dark, leafy greens!  I can't remember the names of all the varieties we got.  I do remember that they came in many shades of green and purple.  Both my kids loved the arugula, which totally shocked me.


The share also included bok choy (which I'd never had, but enjoyed sauteed in EVOO with garlic and shallots) and kale and some fresh radishes.  

Here's to my being as adventurous an eater as my five year old in the coming months.  Eat your greens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment