Saturday, January 18, 2014

Food Inc, Food Matters, Milk?, King Corn, Hungry for Change

I decided to go one month without going to any major grocery stores (Giant, Weis, Wal-mart) to see how challenging it would be.  Our Amazon Prime membership gives me access to - what some might say is too many - documentaries about food and food production in the USA.  I was sufficiently disgusted and game for a go at the aforementioned challenge.

I cleaned out my pantry, freezers and fridge of all things I knew I wouldn't be able to stomach any longer (like Perdue chicken breasts and Velveta cheese).  I donated all to a wonderful family from church who do not share my newfound dietary convictions.

I made sure we'd have plenty of certain items I use often but don't keep on hand in bulk - sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, whole wheat flour, organic cane sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract plus any personal care items.

I allowed myself one Costco trip to stay stocked up on pantry and fridge staples such as avocado/coconut oils, chia seeds, farro, quinoa, organic frozen fruits, organic cheeses, crunchy snack products such as quinoa chips or organic corn tortilla chips and probiotic drinks for the kiddos.

I stalked friends who have been doing this healthier eating plan far longer than I for recipes, ideas and encouragements.

I got my kids on board because they are great encouragers and they love to point out when I make a mistake (like give in to a Hershey bar just because it's there).

I made plans to get all my meats, yogurts, raw honey and produce from locally sourced farms and markets.

I was skeptical as I LOVE food, particularly junk food/sweets and I have no will power.... but it's been AMAZING!  I have saved money.  I have lost weight.  I have helped to lower my hubby's blood pressure.  I have seen my kids appreciate and enjoy new foods.  I have joined a CSA.  I have gotten connected with others in my community seeking the same food choices.  I have learned to release control of our diets when we are outside the home (kids can eat however they want or are served when out and about).  I have learned to appreciate the specificity God used in designing plant and animal life.  I have learned a tremendous amount about our bodies and how they process what is put into them.

I've gotten so many recipes I've loved and will use again and again - too many to share right now.  So I asked each member of the family to share what has been their number one favorite new recipe.  Hope you'll give them a try!

Gabe - loved this juice we made.  I didn't keep any bottled juices on hand so we only drank fresh juices.  Lily loved this one.  I used raw honey as the sweetener, but really it would have been sweet enough without.



This was my favorite go-to breakfast.  Works really well with coconut milk, too.

The whole family loved these muffins as a breakfast or lunch item:

1 cup smooth almond butter
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1 egg white
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (raisins are good, too!)

preheat oven to 350.  line standard muffin pan with paper liners.  combine pumpkin and almond butter until smooth.  stir in eggs and syrup.  mix in cinnamon, baking soda and salt.  stir in chocolate chips.  bake 15-20 minutes or until the center is firm.  allow to cool 10-15 minutes in the pan then transfer to wire rack.  cool completely.  store in an airtight container in the fridge.



Here was a delicious dinner or lunch.  Tim and Lily were huge fans.  I used shallots instead of onions and since I didn't have chicken stock on hand used water.  Still very flavorful.

I would say the only downside is the need to plan much more in advance.  I work two evenings a week so meals would need to be prepped and made in the early afternoon.  Convenience foods were not available to us during this month.  At first that felt frustrating, but the foods we were enjoying as a result of that increased planning more than compensated.  Now advance meal planning is a part of the routine.

All in all, an absolutely awesome month with long-term changes now in place for our family!

*Though if I'm completely honest I do still kinda miss going to Taco Bell.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment