Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pinterest

I'm a little bit late to the Pinterest party, but I am so glad I came!! I've grabbed some fabulous ideas, especially for things to do with Gabe and Lily. Here are some favorites:

DIY LEGO TABLE


Did you know a new Lego table is over $200!??! Craziness. Gabe received Lego sets for his birthday, but didn't use them too often because there wasn't a great place for him to play. Pinterest had an idea to use some of the Lego play sheets (4 of them at $5.95 a piece) and an Ikea table (my mom had an old one she gave us, but they retail for about $15 and come in all kinds of cool colors).


Hot glue the four sheets onto the table, being careful to line up the rows so that the creations your kiddo makes can line up over the cracks.


Instant, affordable Lego fun!! He uses this all the time now.

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM GAME



Like most kids, Gabe and Lily LOVE Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Lily is working on learning to identify her letters by sight, so I love this idea. A cookie sheet, green and brown construction paper, tape and magnetic alphabet letters.



Cut out a tree and tape it onto your cookie sheet. Then use the letters to act out the story. I actually ended up switching to non magnetized letters b/c it was so much more fun when all the letters fall off the tree. Lily LOOOOVEEEEESSSS doing this!

DO-A-DOT STICKERS


In keeping with the idea of helping Lily identify her letters, I printed alphabet do-a-dot sheets. But instead of using the do-a-dot paints (which can be so messy), Lily has to fit a circle sticker in each circle. This is great for her hand eye coordination, concentration and patience in addition to reinforcing the visuals of the ABC's. Gabe likes to get in on it, too. But I make him use the circle stickers in patterns so it's not too easy. The circle stickers were $.99 for a pack of 300 at Target.

SPONGE JENGA



I thought Jenga would be a great game to add to our weekly family game night, but it seemed overpriced, and also LOUD when it clamored down. So I really like the idea of cutting up sponges to use in a DIY version. I bought two 4-packs of sponges for $1.00 a piece. I measured each sponge into 1-inch strips and cut them.



I ended up with 6 of each color strip, which was plenty for our game purposes. In addition to this being cheaper and quieter, I like that I can encourage the kids to pattern when building and taking out the Jenga pieces b/c of the variety of colors.


A big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment